Friday, March 1, 2013

DIY: Glittered Light Switch Plates

Hey everyone! So I was shopping at Home Depot a few weeks ago when I somehow ended up in the aisle with switch plates. IDK how I ended up in that aisle but while I was there, I noticed that there were some nice decorative ones. While I was noticing that, a little light bulb popped in my head. LOL I remembered that I had some old yellow switch plates lying aound the house. When we replaced them with new ones, I didn't want to throw them out so I kept them all in a baggie for future use. I didn't know why I decided to keep them around but I am so glad that I did. I guess the "hoarder" in me finally did good.

After I bought everything that I needed at Home Depot, I instantly went home in search for the old light swatch plates that I had so I could decorate them. I didn't know how I wanted to decorate them but the girly side in me wanted one with glitter so I of course, took out all the glitter polishes that I wanted to use. You can pretty much do this with any polish of your choosing but I wanted to try this DIY first with my cheapie polishes. LOL
The polishes that I used are:
  • Santee "Pink" (I actually changed this polish by adding silver glitter to it a while back)
  • NYC Long Wearing "105 Starry Silver Glitter"
  • NYC Long Wearing "101 White Lights Glitter"
  • Wet N Wild "Clear"


I actually used the Wet N Wild "Clear" as a top coat because I didn't want to use any of my expensive top coats like my Sechi Vite top coat. It was actually a pretty good top coat but it sure was runny, compared to Seche Vite. What I did was paint two coats of Santee "Pink" over the switch plate and then paint two coats each of the glitter polishes. You could do with just one but I wanted mines glittery as heck so I glitterify it as much as I could. Haha! Since I didn't want to feel the bumpy texture of the glitters everytime I turn on/off my lights, I added one coat of the Wet N Wild "Clear" to finish everything off. I actually love how it turned out. I waited two days for it to completely dry (to be on the safe side) and now I actually have it on my wall in my bedroom. I love how it turned out so much that I will be doing the other light switch plates in my house as well so stay tuned for those. I will be doing different designs for them so don't worry.

If you are tired of your yellow switch plates in your house and don't want to go out and pay the money for brand new white ones (that might just get dirty in the long run with dirty fingerprints and/or dust), you might actually like this DIY. Definitely let me know if any of you guys ever decide to try it out and all the different designs that you created!!

QUESTIONS:
Have you ever done this DIY before?
What do you guys think of my glittered light switch plate?

TWITTER: LisaLovMakeup87
INSTAGRAM: LisaLovesMakeup87
PINTEREST: LisaLovMakeup87
YOUTUBE (coming soon): CLICK HERE

**All written content and pictures belong to me, unless otherwise stated. Please do not use or steal for any reason.**

3 comments:

  1. This is soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm am so happy with the way that it turned out and so glad to hear that you think its cute too!! :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to comment here. I really appreciate it! If you have any feedback on my blog, you can comment here as well and I will try to respond to it as soon as possible. Any spam comments will be automatically deleted. The only kind of spam that I like is with my rice and roasted seaweed. :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...